Friday, September 24, 2010

Wednesday's Recipe--Zucchini Bread

Yes, I know I'm a couple days late. The morphing subplot has taken over my life--not necessarily a bad thing. This story seems to be writing itself, so who am I to argue?

Zucchini season is long gone in my garden between the heat, the lack of rain, and critters attacking the roots of the plants. However, I love fresh zucchini bread. I also freeze several loaves when I make it. If you don't have any zucchini in your garden, pick up a couple at the grocery store. And prepare to experiment!

Zucchini Bread

3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil (for lower fat, substitute applesauce)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups grated zucchini
Optional mix/match additions: 1 cup raisins or dried cranberries, 1 cup ground walnuts or pecans, 1 cup coconut, 1 cup chocolate chips

Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Add liquids and stir. Add zucchini and remaining optional ingredients. Mix well. Pour into greased and floured bread pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans.

*Hint: Don't substitute cooking spray for shortening and flour to prepare pans. Chocolate chips tend to stick to the pan.

Makes three 9"X4" loaves.

Enjoy the last of the warm days of September!

Mellanie Szereto
Romance...With a Kick!

No comments:

Post a Comment