Monday, August 19, 2013

Another Recipe! German Doll Cookies

At the request of an old friend, I'm posting a recipe for German Doll Cookies. My sister and I spent what seemed like days helping our mom make cookies for Christmas. These are one of my favorites. They're a bit labor intensive, but they taste wonderful!

German Doll Cookies

1/2 lb. butter (2 sticks), softened
3/4 cup sugar
6 egg yolks
3 tablespoons sour cream
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
4 cups flour
6 eggs whites, beaten
extra sugar
ground walnuts

Mix butter, sugar, egg yolks, sour cream, lemon juice, and flour in order. Roll out dough to about 1/4-inch thick on a floured board. Cut with mini gingerbread boy and girl cookie cutters (about 2 inches high). Dip unbaked cookie in beaten egg whites, then sugar, then nuts. Bake on greased cookies sheets at 250 degrees for 25 minutes. Cool completely before storing. Cookies will be slightly crisp and flaky. Makes approximately 17 dozen.

Here's a scale photo of the cookie cutters I use. They were part of my grandmother's huge collection. She had over a thousand cookie cutters!
I'd hoped to include a picture of the cookies, but no search results came back for the recipe name. They must have a German name... Imagine a small sugar cookie with light nut coating and a shiny, sugary finish!

Enjoy!

Mellanie Szereto
Romance...With A Kick!

No comments:

Post a Comment