Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Writing Tip Wednesday--Writing Advice from Andrew Jericho

Welcome to Writing Tip Wednesday! I'm back after a brief hiatus to get past the funk of having three deaths of family and friends in a month's time and finish Iced Latté Release date is July 27!

Andrew Jericho is joining me this week to give some insight into his writing process to help new writers! Hi, Andrew!

Thanks for having me as a guest, Mellanie, on Writing Tip Wednesday!

Many Paths to Becoming an Author

I don’t believe in a “one true path” to becoming an author. I never had an epiphany that writing was my calling. I began my career as a freelance journalist and photographer, and became a ManLove erotic romance author in November, 2012 upon the publication of my first book, Ripped, with Siren-BookStrand Publishing. I’ve always been a writer in one form or another.

As an author, I’ve been asked numerous questions. I enjoy hearing from readers, and encourage e-mails and comments often. While there are too many questions to address in this guest post, I’ve chosen several topics to share. I hope my answers will help others authors develop their paths to success.

New Author Advice:
The first step is getting published. The next? Promote, promote, promote! Also when writing, don’t be afraid to share your thoughts. There will be people who respect you, not only for your ideas, but for your honesty.
Be kind to readers and other authors. Give shout-outs to fellow writers. However, promo shouldn’t be the only thing you post on social media. Readers want to feel connected to their favorite writers. Post about other interests besides writing.

Character Development:
I don’t have any one formula for character development. A character can be a compilation of many, or the product of a few. For example: a voice from one, or a personality from another, is often woven into my literary figures.
My characters write their own lives. While I provide them with literary direction, they ultimately make their own decisions. Once an idea for a book forms, I feel compelled to see it through to completion. The characters I write about demand their stories be told as uniquely as they’re forming in my memory. Many times, I’ve told characters to, “take a number.”

Writing Inspiration:
My partner, John, is my greatest inspiration and muse. I infuse my characters with bits and pieces of the man who shares my life. The real-life depiction of ManLove we share has inspired my writing.

Writer’s Block:
I get writer’s block all the time. In addition, I’m a slow writer. My theory for coping is when a story is ready to be told I’ll write it. I can’t force the process.

The Hardest Part of Writing:
The hardest part of writing my books is weaving romance, passion, and eroticism into a realistic story. I strive to capture gay men in real situations of life and love.

Handling Negative Reviews:
I’ve had negative reviews, as likely all authors have. Not everyone will like your work. For every negative review, there is always a reader who has positive comments about a book. Also, never argue, or post a response, to a negative review!

Why Erotic Romance?:
The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines Erotica as, “works of art or literature that deal with sex and are meant to cause sexual feelings.” As a ManLove erotic romance author my writing not only includes sexuality, but is a blend of romance and passion. Romance. Passion. Eroticism. All three words in that order define my definition of erotica.
I write about gay men in real situations of life and love who are intense and sexual. Those who read my books know what to expect. My writing is not for the faint of heart. However, readers also know they will find romance within my stories. I believe erotica is an emotion born from the intense and sexual nature of the human spirit, infused with the need for human affection, or romantic ideals.

While erotica does explore sexuality, it also shares the emotions and romance necessary to move my characters towards different levels of intimacy with their male partners. Erotica focuses on many human emotions within us all.

Bio: Andrew Jericho is a ManLove erotic romance author for Siren-BookStrand Publishing, and a long supporter of LGBTQ rights. His writing proves love and erotic attraction are the same regardless of gender and/or sexual orientation. In their purest forms, Andrew has seen those concepts transform characters into better individuals.

He is a gay transgender man, who lives with his partner, John Jericho, and family. He enjoys photography, eclectic tastes in music and the arts, and browsing the local library and art galleries. All of Andrew’s work can be found at: Andrew Jericho.

Links:
Website: http://andrewjericho.com
Blog: http://andrewjericho.com/blog
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/AndrewJerichoAuthor
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AndrewKJericho
Google+: https://plus.google.com/u/0/+AndrewJericho/posts
Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/andrewjericho

Thanks so much for visiting today and sharing your advice for new writers, Andrew!

Mellanie Szereto
Romance...With A Kick!

No comments:

Post a Comment